Tuesday 16 October 2012

Strawberries and Cream Cheesecake!



I just got the new Hummingbird Bakery cookbook (Cake Days).... yippeeee!!! There are SO many delicious things I can't wait to get making!! I have decided to start with the Strawberries and Cream Cheesecake... I'm not sure why I did, as I have never ever made a cheesecake before... but it seemed like a good idea at the time!! Popped to Tesco to get the ingredients (well, the ones I didn't have in my brand new very stocked baking cupboard!!) and got going... first dilemma... I don't have a 20cm spring-form tin... and reading down the recipe you have to put it in the bath... urmm oh ok... put it in a water bath... I have a larger than 20cm silicone baking tin... (more later on the wonders of silicone baking equipment!!), and I don't have a huge roasting tray... After frantically throwing my cupboards inside out I find a pizza dish... it is bigger than the cake tin... but not tall enough to reach the top... I decided to brave it!! It all went to plan, although it is meant to be two thirds full, and mine is nearly at the top because I decided that the digestive base wasn't thick enough, so I added half again of the mixture! Into the oven.


25 mins later and it's "firm with a very slight wobble" as the book says... (no comment…!) So I have removed from the oven, cooled to room temp, and it’s now in the fridge waiting....

It's taking a very long time, so I decide to whip up a batch of oreo cupcakes while I wait!! mmmmm I love oreos!!

Once ready and with the mascarpone poured on top, decorate with some strawberries. YUM. This was really delicious!



Recipe:

Base:
330g digestive biscuits, 150g melted unsalted butter

Topping:
200g fresh chopped and hulled strawberries
180g Caster Sugar
600g Cream Cheese (don’t bother getting “Lighter!”)
2 large eggs
100g mascarpone
20g Icing Sugar
100ml double cream

Consult the Hummingbird book for the method! P121!

No comments:

Post a Comment