Tuesday 16 October 2012

Amazing Carousel Banana Chocolate Chunk Birthday Cake


Girly Carousel Cake – a definite Show Stopper!



My oldest friend made a Carousel cake for her little girl (my gorgeous goddaughter) for her birthday last year, and I was jealous. Why had I not thought of that?! It looked brilliant. Now, my boyfriend and my other best friend were in the musical Carousel, so how could I not?! The finished result has to be my proudest bake to date. It took ALL day, but seeing my Sister’s face when I bought it in was priceless!

I asked Sophie in advance what her favourite type of cake was, and she said Banana… I have only ever made banana loaf before, so decided to adapt my favourite recipe, to make a cake, and also chuck in a layer of chocolate cake too, to add to the height and taste.

Chocolate Chunk Banana Cake:

540g soft brown sugar
4 eggs
4 mashed bananas
560g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
2tsp bicarb of soda
280g melted unsalted butter
2 packets Chocolate chunks (or as many as you like!)

Oven: 170 / 325 / 3

Mix sugar, eggs and then add and mix bananas (scrape scrape scrape as you go). Add the flour, baking powder and bicarb, and beat well.  Pour in the melted butter and beat again. Finally add the chocolate, and beat a few times until they are mixed in. Pour into two prepared cake tins. Bake for an hour. Don’t keep opening the oven, but keep an eye on the cakes. They should be firm to touch, not wobbly, and a fork should come out clean. Remove and cool. Also make one cake as per “Go To Chocolate Cake” instructions.

Using my trusty Cake Leveler I chop off the tops, so that all three are perfectly flat, and the same height. This gives you some bits to eat with a nice cup of tea!

Cover one banana cake with icing, and place the chocolate cake carefully on top, cover that with icing, and lay the other banana cake on top, carefully aligning the sides. 
Now we are ready to crumb coat and then cover in white cream cheese icing. Now come the fun bits! I was making this up as I went along, so first I arranged mini marshmallows around the bottom of the cake (luckily they fit perfectly!) I had bought chocolate fingers. I decided they looked too boring and plain, so I dipped each one in a bit of icing, and then in sprinkles, and then arranged those above every other marshmallow (as I knew there was an even number)… I did run out 6 before the end, and it was a Sunday, but luckily the local petrol station had them….. lesson learnt, prepare properly beforehand!!). 
I then put more mini marshmallows around the top of the fingers, for symmetry. 
Now onto the Ice Cream Cones… given the sheer size of the triple layer cake, one cone was not enough, and I had stupidly bought the fancy waffle ones, which are not flat on the bottom! I tried to cut the top off and it snapped, so my clever boyfriend suggested dampening the very ends a bit… it worked like a charm! So with my flat bottomed cone, I dunked the point in icing, and stacked another one on top… I used 5, by which time I was happy with the height. Then I covered in icing, and rolled in sprinkles, adding more sprinkle covered chocolate fingers to the bottom (well, as I’d bought a whole new box…..!). That went in the middle of the cake.

Now for the paper plate… I had some pretty pink ones from my birthday last year, so I cut and folded it into a slight cone, and bakanced it on top… it didn’t stay, and it didn’t look pretty enough, so covered the underside with tin foil, and then dabbed lines of icing all around the bottom, and running from the point to the edges, then sprinkled sprinkles on so they stuck. Much better. What can I hold it on with? Ooooooh I have little flags on cocktail sticks… perfect! Finally I taped coloured paper straws onto the underside of the plate. I made a tiny hole in the plate, and chopped the very point off the icecream cone, and added a bit of icing to hold it, then stuck them on, pushing the point of the stick in the point of the cone, through the plate… after chopping the straws to the right length (slightly longer than you think, so you can push them slightly into the icing and cake, to hold them in place. 

FINALLY (yes, really this time!) I added the Carousel Horse candles (by Rice). 








No comments:

Post a Comment