Tuesday 16 October 2012

Colourful Rainbow and Bunting Birthday Cake



This was for my Mum’s Birthday in April. I had fancied trying out piping striped icing for a while, and had recently discovered the joys of Paint Chips, so this felt like the perfect chance to combine the two… I have also always been a fan of Rainbows!


After preparing my usual Go To Chocolate Cake (see recipe and method in another post), in just a single layer, and leaving it to cool completely, I do a crumb coat, then after that is set, a thin plain white coat. This will be the base to be piped on, so try and make sure it's smooth and even, especially on the sides.
 Meanwhile I prepare the icing. So, 7 bowls, a couple of drops of food colouring in each one… 


Then in to each one go cream cheese icing, and each is blended, until I have the colours I want. 


Now we prepare the piping bag…. Here comes the fun part! 

So, I have a silicone piping bag (from Lakeland – I want to live there!) and a star nozzle, and now I spoon the icing in, starting with red, then orange etc (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple… remember the rhymes you learnt at school!), adding each colour on top in the middle of the bag. Be careful not to fill the bag too full, or you will NEVER be able to squeeze it, and will end up with icing everywhere. Believe me. 

Squeeze a little bit onto a plate to check, and then, starting at the outside, pipe in decreasing circles, ending up in the centre with purple (hopefully!).

To finish off, I made some mini bunting flags with Paint Chip Cards, cut into triangles, then sewn onto a bit of cotton, and strung that across two bamboo skewers. 


For fun, I also wrote “Mummy” on the flags! 


 

 
It looks so pretty when cut, as you get a proper rainbow! This definitely had the WOW factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment